Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Painted Pot

It was the year 2000. We were newly married and had more expenses than salary. We had moved to Michigan in June and I was VERY excited to be going home for the holidays. For some totally unknown reason I decided to paint my sister a flower pot for her house as her Christmas present. I was going through a Marjolein Bastin phase (ok, so maybe I’m still there- a little) and spent hours and hours and hours and hours working on birds, butterflies and a rabbit painted in a Bastin style. I went to crazy ends to pack the pot in my carry-on, not trusting the baggage handlers with it, and was so proud when Deanna opened it. She still keeps it out (or at least she does when I’m in town) and every time I see it I wonder what inspired it.

My point in posting it here is just as proof that even an non-artist as paint something, given enough time and a good artist to copy from. You'll find my right brain rarely does anything very original, but then, that's not really the point, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for leaving a comment!